A dental bridge is a ﬁxed (non-removable) appliance and is an excellent way to replace missing teeth.
There are several types of bridges. You and your dentist will discuss the best options for your particular case. The “traditional bridge” is the most popular type and is usually made of porcelain fused to metal. This type of bridge consists to two crowns that go over two anchoring teeth (abutment teeth) and are attached to pontics (artiﬁcial teeth), filling the gap created by one or more missing teeth.
Dental bridges are highly durable and will last many years, however they may need replacement or need to be re-cemented due to normal wear.
Reasons for a fixed bridge:
- Fill space of missing teeth.
- Maintain facial shape.
- Prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position.
- Restore chewing and speaking ability.
- Restore your smile.
- Upgrade from a removable partial denture to a permanent dental appliance.
Dental Bridge Procedure
What does getting a fixed bridge involve?
Getting a bridge usually requires two or more visits. While the teeth are numb, the two anchoring teeth are prepared by removing a portion of enamel to allow for a crown. Next, a highly accurate impression (mold) is made which will be sent to a dental laboratory where the bridge will be fabricated. In addition, a temporary bridge will be made and worn for several weeks until your next appointment.
At the second visit, you permanent bridge will be carefully checked, adjusted, and cemented to achieve a proper ﬁt. Occasionally your dentist may only temporarily cement the bridge, allowing your teeth and tissue time to get used to the new bridge. The new bridge will be permanently cemented at a later time.
You will receive care instructions at the conclusion of the procedure. Proper brushing, ﬂossing and regular dental visits will aid in the life of your new permanent bridge.
Dental Bridges are comprised of two Dental Crowns and one false tooth, or pontic. Set up an appointment if you need Dental Crowns. Dental Bridges are custom made fixed partial dentures. Our dental specialist, Dr. Jiyoung Kim, performs Dental Bridge procedures in Encinitas, CA. Call us @ (760) 753-9052.
- Dr Kim is great and I am VERY happy with my beautiful smile. I highly recommend Dr Kim for her professionalism...judy d.
- Dr. Kim and her team have been taking excellent care of my family and me for several years now and we are so happy we found her!Romy B.
- I have a new smile and am very satisfied with the results. Dr. Kim is our family dentist and I would recommend her highly.Jamie D.
- The crowns turned out beautifully and I am thrilled to finally be biting on my molars after years of no contact. I HIGHLY recommend her.Wendy W.
- She is smart, caring, and really takes her time to think through a complicated problem. For years I had been biting...Wendy W.