What are fillings?
A composite (tooth colored) ﬁlling is used to repair a tooth that is affected by decay, cracks, fractures, etc. The decayed or affected portion of the tooth will be removed and then filled with a composite ﬁlling.
There are many types of filling materials available, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. You and your dentist can discuss the best options for restoring your teeth. Composite ﬁllings, along with silver amalgam ﬁllings, are the most widely used today. Because composite ﬁllings are tooth colored, they can be closely matched to the color of existing teeth, and are more aesthetically suited for use in front teeth or the more visible areas of the teeth.
As with most dental restorations, composite ﬁllings are not permanent and may someday have to be replaced. They are very durable, and will last many years, giving you a long lasting, beautiful smile.
Reasons for composite fillings:
- Chipped teeth
- Closing space between two teeth
- Cracked or broken teeth
- Decayed teeth
- Worn teeth
How are composite fillings placed?
Composite ﬁllings are usually placed in one appointment. While the tooth is numb, your dentist will remove decay as necessary. The space will then be thoroughly cleaned and carefully prepared before the new ﬁlling is placed. If the decay was near the nerve of the tooth, a special medication will be applied for added protection. The composite ﬁlling will then be precisely placed, shaped, and polished, restoring your tooth to its original shape and function.
It is normal to experience sensitivity to hot and cold when composite ﬁllings are ﬁrst placed, however, this will subside shortly after your tooth acclimates to the new ﬁlling.
You will be given care instructions at the conclusion of your treatment. Good oral hygiene practices, eating habits, and regular dental visits will aid in the life of your new ﬁllings.
- Dr Kim is great and I am VERY happy with my beautiful smile. I highly recommend Dr Kim for her professionalism...judy d.
- Dr. Kim and her team have been taking excellent care of my family and me for several years now and we are so happy we found her!Romy B.
- I have a new smile and am very satisfied with the results. Dr. Kim is our family dentist and I would recommend her highly.Jamie D.
- The crowns turned out beautifully and I am thrilled to finally be biting on my molars after years of no contact. I HIGHLY recommend her.Wendy W.
- She is smart, caring, and really takes her time to think through a complicated problem. For years I had been biting...Wendy W.