What is Prosthodontics and What is a Prosthodontist?
Prosthodontics? Prosthodontist? Count on us to explain the specialized practice of Dr. Jiyoung Kim
A Prosthodontist is dedicated to providing highest level of care for patients who need to replace missing teeth due to damage to their existing teeth.
The required training of a Prosthodontist is very strict and standardized in the United States. Dentists from all over the world compete to gain acceptance to the training programs that are here in the US and only a few residents per year are accepted.
Prosthodontics is one of nine dental specialties recognized by the American Dental Association. The typical prosthodontics training includes four years of dental school and an additional three years of specialty training through a hospital or university-based program accredited by the American Dental Association. Training consists of rigorous preparation in:
– Review of literatures, lectures, and seminars
– Laboratory experience
– Clinical patient care with crowns, bridges, veneers, removable partial / full dentures, and dental implants
– Material science
– Esthetics and occlusion
– TMD-jaw joint problems
– Congenital anomalies to teeth
Prosthodontists are masters in the rehabilitation of a complete dentition, in the replacement of one or two teeth, and in satisfying the patient’s cosmetic desires.
The Prosthodontist formulates treatment customized for each individual patient, coordinates with other dental specialists to help establish a solid foundation, and has the vision of the final outcome, both in optimum function and esthetics. Due to the additional training, a prosthodontist has a special understanding of your smile, the preservation of a healthy mouth and the art of tooth replacement.
- Dr Kim is great and I am VERY happy with my beautiful smile. I highly recommend Dr Kim for her professionalism...judy d.
- Dr. Kim and her team have been taking excellent care of my family and me for several years now and we are so happy we found her!Romy B.
- I have a new smile and am very satisfied with the results. Dr. Kim is our family dentist and I would recommend her highly.Jamie D.
- The crowns turned out beautifully and I am thrilled to finally be biting on my molars after years of no contact. I HIGHLY recommend her.Wendy W.
- She is smart, caring, and really takes her time to think through a complicated problem. For years I had been biting...Wendy W.